Tuesday 7 February 2017

We were liars - E. Lockhart

"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."


Hi, sorry I haven't uploaded anything in a while but I have been very busy with school.

This is a short book but packs an emotional punch. The reader follows the teenage main character,Cadence Sinclair who at first seems to be a normal girl who is quirky, sentimental, charming, blessed with an unusual name and a neat turn of phrases. At first it seems that she is going to lead us on a tale of unrequited love with a few witty one-liners and metaphors thrown in.

Which she does, however strange things soon start happening. The reader searches with her. Combing for clues in the family's behaviour, the lies and secrets of an old prideful family. It shows the pain that can be brought by being self-absorbed and selfish. Of course I won't reveal the twists and turns of the plot, but I can say that when the secret of the book is finally revealed, it turns out to be far more shocking and darker than I imagined. 

I must comment on the writing style because I found it very interesting. It is unique, using half-sentences and lists which provide a poetic tone. The author also uses extended metaphors frequently, especially to explore the idea of pain.

This book is one of the few books that has made me cry and I have only cried over 2 books before this, so it was quite a big deal. The novel is cunning, clever and twisted. Leaving you guessing right up to the last moment. 

I would suggest this book to children 13+ as it deals with deep issues such as trauma, amnesia, chronic painkiller use, strict patriarchal family and deep rifts between family. However I think you should use your own intuition as to how much those thing would effect you.  


 




No comments:

Post a Comment