Saturday 11 February 2017

13 Days of Midnight - Leo Hunt

"When Luke Manchett's estranged father dies suddenly, he leaves his son a dark inheritance. Luke has been left in charge of his father's ghost collection: eight restless spirits. They want revenge for their long enslavement, and in the absence of the father, they're more than happy to take his son. It isn't fair, but you try and reason with the vengeful dead.
Halloween, the night when the ghosts reach the height of their power, is fast approaching. With the help of school witchlet Elza Moss, and his cowardly dog Ham, Luke has just thirteen days to uncover the closely guarded secrets of black magic, and send the unquiet spirits to their eternal rest. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about."

This book is definitely not my usual genre as it is a supernatural, horror type book. Don't get me wrong I love the supernatural and macabre just not horror that much. However this was a good mild horror book and I think I will be carrying on with the series.

Luke's, the main characters gradual realisation that his father has handed over control of eight ghosts determined to get revenge was humorously dealt with. The ghosts are fantastic. Each of their personalities and differences constantly create conflicts and humour and help to guide the plot along hundreds of different pathways. I’m interesting in learning more about each ghost’s history, especially the full story behind The Shepherd.

As Luke struggles to work out how to master this group of spirits, he has to rely on the friendship of Ezra, someone he's barely spoken to. Ezra is a great supporting character adding her own layer of quirk with her protection spells and wards, I’m hoping that we see a lot more of this side of magic in the sequel because I think there’s a lot of potential there!

Ham, Luke’s dog is adorable. To say I loved the scenes where Luke and Ham became intertwined is an understatement. Its both hilarious and extremely well done.

My only slight qualm was at the end of the book. I had hoped Luke would make the more selfish decision. (You will get it once you have read the books.)But I can understand that wouldn't be the best role-model - don't know what this says about me.


I would suggest age 14+ as some of the ghosts are described vividly and to say they are pretty ugly is watering it down hugely. Again please use common sense as to how sensitive you are to this kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment