Tuesday 21 February 2017

A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J Maas

"When nineteen year old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin, one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin and his world—forever."


This book was one of those really annoying books that you know you shouldn't enjoy reading because of massive plot holes and what not, but still secretly do.

Now first of all I will say there is almost nothing of substance to the book; it is fluffy, cheesy, and has been done multiple times before, yet somehow I STILL was completely sucked in and couldn't put it down.

I found myself utterly despising the scenes with Feyre's father and sisters. I know they were necessary, but they were very infuriating people. Also I know Tamlin is supposed to be the main love interest in the story but he just annoyed me. He is the typical over-protective, annoying alpha, but that's just me.


Through out the story there were some problematic themes, a few over-used tropes, and some issues with the writing which I am sure could be solved with a bit of editing. There where a few parts in the book that had my inner feminist screaming silently.
This book is a reheated "Beauty and the Beast" with side dishes of Cinderella and Twilight. My inner teenage fangirl is loving it, much to my more logical brains annoyance but over-all I enjoyed it.

I would recommend age 15+ as there where some scenes that were not PG and to tell you frankly I skipped them. It was also insinuated that one of the side characters was being sexually abused. If you enjoy a good mostly light fantasy, fairy-tale type story which will leave you squealing at parts, this is the book for you.
 
 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment