Friday 8 December 2017

Not If I See You First - Eric Lindstrom

"The Rules
Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public.

Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me.

Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter.

Parker Grant doesn't need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.

When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there's only one way to react - shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that's right, her eyes don't work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened - both with Scott, and her dad - the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken. "

I really liked that Parker was unlikable, outspoken and selfish at times, in a way that I thought was realistic and relatable. Sometime though she stepped over the line and just became an asshole, excuse my French. How annoying it would have been if she had simply been portrayed as a one-dimensional blind girl who can do no wrong. Instead, she is given a layered personality, flaws, and a sharp tongue that made for some funny moments.

The romance utterly baffled me. In fact, Parker's girl friends play a much bigger part in this story. For me, it was more about friendship than romance.


Scott, Parker's ex, was a really underdeveloped character. We essentially only learn about him through hearsay, he doesn't play an active role in the story until the very end despite being a large part of the story. It made the book a little more underwhelming because so much of it was focused on Parker and Scott, even though Scott was a very minimal character in my opinion.

The romantic side is less about getting the two teens together, and more a lesson on growing up, changing and learning to listen. Or it was to me. Which is why I would be one of the few people who liked the atypical ending if Scott's character had been written differently.

I definitely am already suffering from the disappointment of there not being as much track running as I wanted, but the bulk of the story that replaced the expected-track parts wasn't as engaging.

All in all, this was a nice read.

Age Rating 12+. Nothing at all untoward.

No comments:

Post a Comment