Monday 3 July 2017

The Manifesto on How to be Interesting - Holly Bourne

"Apparently I'm boring. A nobody. But that's all about to change. Because I am starting a project. Here. Now. For myself. And if you want to come along for the ride then you're very welcome.

Bree is a loser, a wannabe author who hides behind words. Most of the time she hates her life, her school, her never-there parents. So she writes.

But when she’s told she needs to start living a life worth writing about, The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting is born. Six steps on how to be interesting. Six steps that will see her infiltrate the popular set, fall in love with someone forbidden and make the biggest mistake of her life."


Doesn't it have a gorgeous cover!!

Firstly I have to say I really enjoy the way Holly Bourne writes. Her books are such comfortable reads. They flow brilliantly and read so quickly. I pretty much zoomed through and finished this in one sitting. Holly somehow manages to tackle difficult topics in a way that makes them 'easy' to read. The snarky humour and comebacks where great in this book, so my sense of humour.

With that being said, I didn't love this book. I enjoyed it but there's something making it hard for me to work out how I feel about it. The whole book gave me a huge 'Mean Girls' movie vibe, it was similar in so many ways that I couldn't stop comparing the two. It's like a parody of every cliché teen movie you've ever watched.


I found myself struggling to warm to Bree's character which is odd considering we're somewhat similar in things we've felt. I just think in the ways that we're not similar, we're such polar opposites I found it hard to connect with her and her actions, especially towards others.

BUT I couldn't stop reading, I was drawn into the book and the lives of these characters despite pretty accurately predicting what would happen. It makes you think and revaluate how important somethings are. I enjoyed it just not as much as I had expected too. I think I possibly put my expectations on this book too high after loving Holly's other book 'Am I Normal Yet?' so much.

I will 100% continue to read whatever Holly Bourne writes because, as I said, I LOVE the way she writes.


Maybe a bit of a spoiler: this book incorporates self-harm. So be aware of that. Age Rating I would say 15, maybe mature 14.  

No comments:

Post a Comment