Tuesday 4 July 2017

Seige and Storm - Leigh Bardugo

Image result for seige and storm"Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm."


Okay firstly I am about to start ranting about all the reasons I really disliked this book. However,I did enjoy it more than the first book as it had more world building and you are introduced to new characters.(my favourites, the twins.)Alina is more powerful in this book and there are some truly badass scenes!!

I will not be reading the 3rd book but I would suggest people who have read the first to try the second as it might just draw you back in.

There are going to be spoilers ahead for this book. You have been warned.

1:CAN MAL JUST LEAVE
What an annoying little #@;!!@. There are pages of Alina commenting on how good he is at everything and I just don’t care.All he does is comment on how he doesn’t want Alina to change and how frustrated he is because things are different and it’s boring. I'm not even sure what Mal does for most of this book aside from standing by and being jealous of every man that Alina talks to.

All the girls fall for him and no one can resist his handsomeness. We get it you're handsome. Alina and other girls can't resist you, his handsomeness was mentioned in the first book and now again several times here. I GET IT, HE'S HANDSOME, NO NEED TO REPEAT IT AGAIN IN THE SECOND BOOK.


2: The love square
Well, I have officially read a book where not one, not two, but three guys have a thing for the same girl. Mal, The Darkling and now Nikolai. Are you kidding me? At this point, someone's grandpa is probably going to have the hots for Alina.


3:Mal and Alina's rel
ationship problems
Listen up, I do. not. give. a. single. flying. continental. about. Mal. and. Alina's. relationship. and more than half this book was them having relationship problems, fighting and confessing their love.

I was so bored by their relationship that I couldn't even summon the energy for my standard eye roll reserved for fictional couples that are annoying.

4:No Darkling


But my biggest complaint has to be that there is a distinct lack of the Darkling, who we all know was the best part of Shadow and Bone. Seriously, he's missing from 80% of this book. There's something extremely compelling about his character, and his connection with Alina. I fear that this book shuttled his character straight off into "irredeemable bad guy" territory permanently, when I'm hoping for something a bit more unconventional as an ending for his story. 


Age rating 12/13+. Nothing overly gruesome and light kissing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment