Thursday 30 March 2017

Don't look back - Jennifer L Armentrout

"Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all - popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend.

Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister and friend.

But Cassie is still missing, and the truth about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory - someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?"



I really enjoyed this book! This is my first Jennifer Armentrout book ever and I will definitely be keeping an eye open for more of her books. This book was like a psychological-thriller meets Mean Girls in the most epic way. I have also always loved the amnesia trope because it always brings more confusion to a story. The suspense was taut throughout the book while giving you a few well needed breathers. There where no unneeded characters and everyone had a role.

Samantha, or Sam, is the main character. She is popular, rich and beautiful ,yet through her confusion is relatable and easy to connect to. Sam could be a little naïve and gullible but it was believable, completely understandable and she felt very real.

I cheered her on as she kept from being a victim of her amnesia, and especially when she turned her back on her old life. Scott and Julie are amazing supporting characters, and to be honest, I wish I had a twin brother like Scott. Their relationship is special and he is fiercely protective of his sister.

Then there's Carson, 101 love interest. I was a little sceptical because I am very picky with my romances however he proved me wrong. He's kind, has a protective streak to rival Scott's, and is so sweet and patient with Sam that I wanted to hug him almost every time he was on a page.

The mystery part, which is an important one, was well enough done.  The romance did take a too pre-eminent part in the plot, but it didn’t change that I felt hooked and wanted to know badly what happened to both girls and WHO did this. WHO killed Cassie and WHY. Those are questions I asked myself throughout the reading. At the end, it’s along with the narration that I figured it all out and it certainly surprised me. Nicely done.

Age Rating I would say 14+. Sex, blood and mental confusion are all mixed in. However it isn't scary and no paranormal anything's so don't be put off.


No comments:

Post a Comment