Wednesday 4 January 2017

The City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

"When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air."

I heard a lot about this book so I decided to pick up the first instalment in the series and see what all the fuss was about. I wasn't disappointed! This book is fast - paced, kickass and really fun to read. I am a great fan of "modern magic" and how fantasy gets mixed in with the everyday. Miss Clare does this very well. Her take on vampires, werewolves and fairies where very interesting especially for someone who loves folklore.

The humour and dynamic of the whole group was just great. The dry, sarcastic, cutting wit of Jace and the jokey, light-hearted, slightly despairing, nerdy tone of Simon's humour just take the book to a whole new level. 

However there were points where I just had to close the book and bang my head against it in frustration. The main character Clary makes rash decisions which, while sometimes achieving something positive, usually end in a difficult situation which she must be rescued from. The romance between Jace and Clary is slightly annoying at times.

I really did enjoy this book, over all, and will be reading the rest of the series. I would recommend this to people of 13+. Demons, vampires, werewolves, magic etc. are included in this book as well as mild making-out so if any of that makes you uncomfortable I would stay away from this book.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment