Friday 26 April 2019

Dreams of Gods and Monsters - Laini Taylor

"Two worlds are poised on the brink of a vicious war. By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera's rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her.

When the brutal angel emperor brings his army to the human world, Karou and Akiva are finally reunited - not in love, but in a tentative alliance against their common enemy. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves.

But with even bigger threats on the horizon, are Karou and Akiva strong enough to stand among the gods and monsters?

The New York Times bestselling Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy comes to a stunning conclusion as - from the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond - humans, chimaera, and seraphim strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy"


I have truly really enjoyed this series but this book just felt all over the place? The huge world changing conflict that had been brewing in the previous books is resolved without a whole lot of fanfare, barely getting 10 pages. There is no dramatic battle, no epic losses that people sob together over the broken bodies of their friends. It's kind of just over with one conversation, in one chapter even though there were still 150 pages left in the book! Which brought us to the reason why there had been random glimpses of characters in this, but who were never even introduced and that I had no time to really bond with? I mean, side plots can be a great literary device, but when they come out of nowhere like this one, I'm just left thinking, ‘well, what's even the point of that?’ for a book as lengthy as this, it just felt very tedious and not as meaningful as I would have liked. Personally the addition of the whole Cataclysm, interdimensional monsters plot was confusing, unnecessary and diminished the importance of the other conflicts. I think Laini should have stuck with and fleshed out more the over throwing of the Empire and melding of the Seraph and Chimera cultures which is just happily glossed over.

I obviously still have my gripes toward Karou's and Akiva's infuriating insta-love both in this lifetime and the last, but I have already ranted about that in previous reviews of this series so I won't rehash to much. Liraz's and Ziri's relationship was sweet but I think a little rushed. I would have preferred if it had been left as a suggestion of something that might happen in the future rather than a fully realised relationship. I just don't see Liraz, most terrifying Misbegotten, raised to love none and detest chimeras opening up so easily.

But as always, Laini Taylor's writing was on point, I will give her that. I loved Zuzana as usual, she is always the highlight of the books. I just think Laini bit off a little more than she could chew by trying to cram too much into one book, making it 600 pages of randomness. Still, I'm glad I finished the series and got some closure.


Age Rating 14+. So many allusions to sex that I have given myself brain damage from eyerolling. Just say it, don't prance around the issue with butterfly slippers

No comments:

Post a Comment