Tuesday 7 August 2018

Sometime I Lie - Alice Feeney

"My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie."


All psychological thrillers mess with your head, that's what we expect, but Alice Feeney has taken it a step further with this clever story. A story related to us by Amber Reynolds as she lies in a hospital bed whilst in a coma.

I really don't want to give anything away here - it would be way too easy to give away a crucial segment of the plot and spoil the whole thing for anyone else, let's just say that this is possibly one of the most twisty books that I've read.

The characters are brilliant ( most of them are chilling ) but they're very much at home in their own skins. I really enjoyed the portrayal of Amber's OCD and I thought it made a lot of sense with her character.   As I've already indicated, the plot is interesting, and has everything that a great psychological thriller should have. What an unsettling twist awaits those of you who have yet to read this book!

Unfortunalty I occasionally found myself dragging myself through chapters while reading this. I loved the young girl’s diary. Her voice was chilling, and I loved reading her POV on the events that defined her childhood. I love a manipulative narrator, and the author of the diary did not disappoint. On the other hand, the other two narratives moved slowly.

I have read many reviews where people have said that the big reveal was to unbelievable but it wasn't to bizarre to me. People raised in unhealthy environments will to terrible things.

Age Rating 14+. Semi - Graphic Rape, OCD, and unhappy childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment