Monday 28 August 2017

Sleepless - Lou Morgan

"Young, rich and good-looking, Izzy and her friends lead seemingly perfect lives. But exams are looming and at a school like Clerkenwell, failure is not an option. Luckily, Tigs has a solution. A small pill that will make revision a breeze and help them get the results they need. Desperate to succeed, the group begin taking the study drug. It doesn't take long before they realize there are far worse things than failing a few exams." 

I am so confused... That ending has just turned my mind to mush and I don't even.

I felt that this book started pretty slowly, but once it got going it was at full pelt with no intention of stopping.

I think what impacted my enjoyment the most was the characters. When it comes to drugs of any sort and the consequences, I am very unsympathetic and part of me thought that these characters got what they deserved. I did like some of the characters in this, and I felt quite sorry for poor Izzy. I understood that her and her friends only wanted to do well in their exams, but I did feel that the only one with any sense was Kara. Who gets given random drugs by a friend, with no labels or explanations as to what is in them, that have come from some random unapproved website, and says ‘what the hell? Down the hatch!’. I mean talk about asking for trouble! Have they no self-preservation skills? Do they not worry about what they’re taking? It could by cyanide for all they know!

This book was definitely creepy and verged strongly on the gruesome, but it didn't effect me that much as I didn't feel very connected to the characters. I also liked that the story was believable, mildly realistic, and not the same old thing rehashed. There was some romance, but just a touch, and it didn’t really interfere with the main storyline.


Also part of the Red Eye series like Fir, (a book I have reviewed before this.) which I am really giving ago at the moment.

For some reason it made me want to pull an all nighter, to watch the sun set and then rise without closing my eyes. Age Rating I would say 14+ as it deals with drug abuse, murder, mental psychosis and severe hallucinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment